Under an hour tuning (was labor rates)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 00:32:59 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/01 11:19:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com (Farrell) writes:

> "Concert pianos on stages and console pianos in living rooms are not the
> same
> kinds of instruments.  I know, for example that when I am going to tune a
> Steinway grand in someone's home, the time I spend will be much more, maybe
> even double."
>
> Is that because a Steinway grand is harder to tune? Do you charge 50% for
> the console? I don't understand your policy here. Please clarify. If my
> auto mechanic did a significantly better tune-up on my neighbor's new Lexus
> than on my 18-year-old car, I would not be happy with him/her at all. Is

I'd have to hand it to Conrad for answering the question quite well.  The way
I think of it is that I simply make the same amount of money in less time
with a lesser piano.  When people inquire about "How much does it cost to
tune a piano?", you can't really start giving a list of sliding scale prices
for various brands of pianos in various conditions.

I spend more time on the Steinway or other fine grand because it and the
customer deserves it.  You can't make a "furniture" piano sound much better
than it will in 45 minutes, no matter what you do.  But that does not mean I
disrespect the instrument nor the people who own it, I simply provide an
appropriate level of service.  If the console or spinet piano needs cleaning,
regulation, action tightening, alignment, voicing, etc., I use techniques
which get the job done quickly and efficiently and for an appropriate fee.
The finer instruments take more time and it costs the customer more to have
them serviced.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin