Piano Care Seminar

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 12:18:58 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/01 10:30:38 PM Central Daylight Time, doepke@fwi.com
writes:

> I have been lucky enough to have a new piano store agree to host a Basic
> Piano Care Seminar.  Invitations will go out into the area.  To music
> teachers, churches, and the general public.  I have ordered some pamphlets
> from the PTG to hand out to folks when they arrive.
>
> Without going overboard with too technical information,  what topics do you
> think should be included in a Basic Piano Care presentation lasting about 45
> minutes..maybe an hour?
>

> Thank you.  I am constantly amazed at the wealth of knowledge this group
> has..and is willing to share.
>

> Brian P. Doepke

Brian

In less than an hour, I think the most important information you should
present is why a piano goes out of tune. I have an article explaining this,
if you want to have it available to pass out to the "students'.  I think most
people know that a piano needs to be tuned one or twice a year, but I don't
think they really understand why it goes out of tune. Most of my clients
think that moving a piano will cause it to go out of tune a lot more than if
it just sat there. Although moving does cause a piano to go out of tune, it
is the changes in environment that causes the piano to go out of tune. That,
I think is what needs to be explained.

Along with that, the other thing you can stress is the importance of keeping
a piano in a stable environment. If you are into Damp Chasers, this is the
time you can sell them on the idea.

And lastly, make sure you explain that Pledge and other such "polishes" are
extremely dangerous for pianos, especially grands.

Unless you are asked, I would stay away from the technical aspects, such as
how an action works, or why strings vibrate. I would think that this
information would not be retained. But information on taking care of the
instrument will be remembered.

I hope this helps.

Willem