Under an hour tuning (was labor rates)

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Mon, 06 Aug 2001 09:08:31 +0200

Tom Cole wrote:

> BobDavis
> >
> > In a message dated 08/05/2001 7:02:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> > mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
> >
> > > This is dictated by piano owners expecting one price for tuning.
> >
> > Unfair to you; easy to solve at the first phone contact.
> > Bob D
>
> The piano owners will expect to be charged what you tell them when they
> call, whether it's by the job, by the note, by the hour, the brand of
> piano, or a percentage of their gross income.
> I prefer to adjust my charges according to the work done. A flat rate
> means to me that some people are getting a deal and others are being overcharged.
>
> Tom Cole

I solve this by simply selling 1.5 hour time slots. I make sure and use up any extra
time after tuning with cleaning and regulation or small repairs..perhaps some
lubrication of trapwork...etc. There is always plenty of things to do. In cases where
I need more then an hour and a half to take care of a piano I talk it over with the
owner and we decide what to do.

This approach solves the "fairness" issue quite nicely, makes my daily schedule very
predictable. I never have to call customers to put off or reshedule....which is
really nice.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.