Question about tuning pins and strings

jstuart1 jstuart1@pdq.net
Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:27:24 -0500

While tuning a couple of the pianos I have, I noticed that some of the
strings in the trebble unisons touch thier neighbors in the vicinity of
the tuning pins. After further investigation, this seems to be the case
on all 6 of the pianos I have. I am curious as to why. It appears that
the tuning pins were set to close together in this area. How does this
affect sound and tuning of the pianos? Are most/ all pianos this way?
Even the baby grand I have is like this.

Thanks
Judy