Under an hour tuning (was labor rates)

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 23:07:18 +0930

Hi List,

After scanning all the posts on this subject and trying to remember the =
original intent, I have to say:-

"G" Piano Works  REPAIR AND LABOR GUIDE by Joseph A. Garrett.

This is about the closest thing you will get to a labor rate as you can =
get. And labor is spelt labour in our country.

A normal tune is two hrs labor, a concert tune is three hrs labor.

i.e. If your labor rate is $45 per hr the tune rate would be $90 and =
$135.

If you tune a normal piano in a normal tune and charge $75 then your =
hourly rate should be $37.50.

If you tune a piano properly in 45 minutes then you are covering the =
costs of getting there, booking the job, writing an invoice and etc at a =
fair rate because you have the experience to do the job.  If it takes =
you three hours you are still being paid well because you are learning =
and to be paid whilst you are learning is a bonus.

Nearly every mechanical repair shop, electrician, electronics tech etc. =
has a similar guide. Its worth every penny of it. If you do a job to =
slowly, you are learning, if you do it faster you are making what you =
are worth. that is if you do it properly.

Get a copy of the Guide and price from it. That is my suggestion to all =
newbies and some not to new  newbies. Me ? I've been doing things on the =
same lines for a long time but this Guide allows me to increase my =
hourly rate (inflation) yearly and reminds me to put my prices up in ALL =
areas when I increase my tuning price.

Example
Tune in town is $100. Hourly rate $50 Cost to reshape a set of hammers, =
2hrs by $50 =3D $100 plus pickup and delivery.
Tune in the country is $140. Hourly rate is $70 Cost to reshape a set of =
hammers, 2hrs by $70 =3D $140 plus pickup and delivery.

If you reglue a hammer, replace a centre pin, whatever, its in the book =
and can be charged out the same way.

Works for me.

Tony