Damper TouchWeight

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 23:53:00 -0500

Terry,

    This action might be giving these results because of corroded spoons.  I
know it sounds like a wacky suggestion, but it is not all that uncommon. The
wide swing in down weight could be 'unregulated' damper springs of course,
and after reducing the tension, if the resistence is still high, you will
know where to look!
      The plating on the spoons reacts with the felt I guess, and they get a
nasty oxadation, which causes a rough surface, and gobbs of friction. The
spoons get so rough, they dig into the felt, and make a hole.

Happy hunting

Dan