Verituner first impressions

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 16:07:05

Hi all,

For the last few weeks, I've been using a Verituner instead of RCT.

I've noticed a BIG difference in how this tuner handles the 'challenging'
pianos.  From about F4 and up, (in a side-by-side with RCT) the tunings are
roughly the same.  As I went down into the break and below, the Verituner
made smoother octaves.  I graphed (big surprise :), right?) the tuning on
the school's Baldwin SF10, and looked at the curves from the different
partials.  No single partial line was a smooth curve, that is the big
difference.  I haven't taken the time yet to graph an itty bitty piano to
see what's going on.

There are 3 default tuning stretches, but the real plus that I see is the
ability to 'balance' different kind of octaves throughout the piano.

It is possible to split the difference between any kind of single octave and
double or even triple octaves in making a calculation. In the coarse tuning,
or pitch raise mode, the tuner is listening to all the partials and
constantly recalculating an optimum tuning.  This works out great for me,
since I use a two-pass tuning on just about every piano.  In fine tune mode,
all the target numbers for each partial are displayed, along with the
spinner.  Using the coarse tuning calculation, each newly tuned note is
locked and not recalculated for the duration of the final tuning.

I'm just getting started with this machine, if there is anything you'd like
me to check, drop me a note.  I know there is a real time spectrum analyzer,
and a beat rate comparison mode that I haven't even looked at yet.

I will say I am VERY impressed with this tuner.  The good pianos sound great
and the smaller pianos are starting to be enjoyable to tune!