Damper TouchWeight

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 17:09:34 -0500

At 04:13 PM 8/8/01 -0400, you wrote:

> No, in this case the dampers are activating at approximately half
key-stroke.
> But when they ARE activated, the touchweight goes up to 95 grams to push the
> key down to the let-off point.
>
> Terry Farrell

Hi Terry,
             If there is insufficient follow the action can feel heavy because
of damper pick up.   I have often found damper springs over ttensioned, when
there is an absence of follow. Some misguided tech thought more tension on the
spring would quiet the damper over ring.   Never works.
 If the damper head returns to the string with little or no bounce,  that is
all the tension you need.  Follow and timing is the cause of problems in
90% of
the cases.   You have to work with both parameters, since they work hand in
glove.

Once the correct follow has been roughed in, use the damper pedal for final
fine adjustments.  This will be the acid test to ensure even lift and string
pressure.At half pedal point, pluck each string and listen for a slight bleed
of tone. Correct  as you go.
Double check the rod hanger bushings, and rod actuation to ensure even lift.
For a top quality job count on 4hrs.
With lots of practice you may be able to do a good damper job complete with
half peddling consistency, in a couple of hrs.
Fortunately most customers will not notice the refined details.  <G>

Roger