Damper TouchWeight

Wed, 8 Aug 2001 19:03:24 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "jolly roger" <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 08, 2001 12:06 PM
Subject: Re: Damper TouchWeight

> This leads me to believe that subliminally the piano player may feel
damper
> pick up. It is more the manner of pick up that counts.  Is it smooth? Does
> the key have enough velocity so the pick up inertia is not felt. (timing)
> Is there enough follow? so the decompression of felt is also helping to
> mask and sudden changes in touch.

They certainly feel spring pressure on pianissmo. When the notes are being
sustained it is necessary to press against the spring fairly firmly.

I agree that smooth operation and precise regulation will solve many of the
vertical damper problems. Still, with some pianos no amount of regulating or
spring pressure will ensure quick damper cutoff. Just as with the grand
piano damper system, a combination of appropriate mass and light spring
pressure will easily do what springs alone can't quite handle.

Del