Damper TouchWeight

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 23:12:29 -0500

Hi Del,
           No arguments on your points at all. How ever the rate of feel, (
the amount of follow)  especially from new spriny felt has a big impact.
The number of pianos that I have seen with little or no follow is too great
to count.

>They certainly feel spring pressure on pianissmo. When the notes are being
>sustained it is necessary to press against the spring fairly firmly.

Add to this correct node points. Just raising or lowering the damper
position a few mm at times will do what none of the other solutions will
cure.   One of the reasons I favour triple dampers.

Your point about mass loading the damper head is well taken.  I think the
Yamaha U1 and U3 models are good examples of well designed damper systems
in this respect.  Very substantial maple blocks and heads.

Regards Roger

 a combination of appropriate mass and light spring