Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 11:56:59 +1000

Del wrote:

>B:  Typically the bass/tenor break is somewhere around E-20/F-21 though
>nowadays some manufacturers are trying to patch poor initial scaling by
>running some wrapped bi-chords up into the tenor section.

And what a 'weak knee'd' approach it is too, isn't it Del? The patch
up will be almost as disastrous as the original mess.

>The fact that these pianos may have been made in the past five years is
>meaningless. Most of the initial scale design work the "modern" piano is
>based on was done decades or centuries ago.

Agreed, but that's because much design work isn't. When we hear the
term, we often mistakenly assume an application of intelligence and
understanding to the process. When a design department can alter
nothing more than the number of hinges holding the main lid section
to the case, things are bad. This has happened.

You'd really feel like you'd achieved something wouldn't you? Just
imagine, you get home from work after a hard days slog.

"What did you do today honey?"

"I redesigned a piano at work"

"Oh that's interesting, tell me more"

"I took the design of our concert grand into the 21st century."

"How did you achieve that dear?"

"I reduced the number of hinges holding the lid to the case from four
to three. You wouldn't believe how it improved its power to weight
ratio at fff."

Fun isn't it, being part of a world class design department.

Warning - the opinions proffered above may or may not represent the
opinions of the author. If the author has any sense, he/she may not
be prepared to say. Now where are those damn running shoes?

Ron O
--
Overs Pianos
Sydney Australia