Restoring old uprights

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 14:30:54 -0400

Newton wrote:
> One is to drill a large hole into the block
> and replace the removed material with pin block plugs and redrill.  Great
care
> needs to be taken to assure that the plugs are well and truly glued into
place
> and that they will never (nearly) rotate.

I wonder if you drill the holes for the plugs so that they are off center
from the hole where the pins were and will be. That way, the plug would be
restricted from rotatating. That would involve somehow "remembering" where
the original tuning pin holes were. Maybe you could make an outline of where
all the pins are, drill the plug holes off-center and then use the outline
to drill the new holes.

I might be way off here. I don't really know anything about drilling a pin
block. I'm still near the beginning of the Potter course! Give me some
time...

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc.
Nassau County, NY