Small Bridge Pin Source

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 13:45:31 -0500

>The last batch of #21's I ordered were brass with plating.  (from a
>Japanese supplier)  I sent them back.  The supply house asked what was
>wrong.  When I told them of pin failure due to the plating coming off.  I
>was politely told I was being 'picky", and that it's the first they had
>heard of problems.

Aside from the fact that the next time they hear about it will be the first
time, just like the last time was, I doubt that the plating on Japanese
center pins would be a problem if they were used as bridge pins. Brass is
softer, and has a MOE half that of mild steel, so they might not be stiff
enough for bridge pins. That was my concern. I'm not aware that I've ever
seen steel flange center pins. Who used them?

Terry: what sort of scale tensions are we talking about here, and what's
the stagger angle across the bridge?

Then again, you could go to McMaster-Carr and order stainless steel dowel
pins of whatever length you want and either 1/16" (0.0625"), or 2mm
(0.078") diameter and be the first kid on your block to repin a square
piano bridge with stainless steel. I know that's strong enough.

Ron N