Cost of piano tunings-part II

BSHARPTUNE@AOL.COM BSHARPTUNE@AOL.COM
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:33:05 EDT

Sorry about that.  Sent the letter by accident before I was done.

I concluded that it was some of both.  Not only that, look at how many dish
washer or air con repairmen you see listed as opposed to piano tuners!  These
other types of repairmen are a dime a dozen.  A good piano tech is a much
rarer breed!

Anyway,  even though I had made up my mind that it was at least a logical
thing to do in going up on my tuning price,  there was a fear factor that I
had to overcome before I actually increased my price, and I believe that this
is a fear that many of us face when we consider a rate increase.

I was afraid that if I went up I would lose business, and that the other
"lesser priced tuners" would get the business.  Boy, was I wrong.  The
tunings did not decrease in the least, and neither will yours.   In fact,
only about one in 5 or 6 people even ask me the tuning charge.  Within two
weeks the other tuners were at 95.00 each as well.   In the past when I went
up,  I would mail a letter to the other piano techs in the area stating that
I was going up to $$, whatever that price was back then.   This let them know
what I was going up to, which believe me, they would find out in a short time
anyway, and also,  I felt it gave them the security to go up as well, which
they always did.  Don't be afraid to be the "leader of the pack" on your
tuning prices.  Most customers believe that you pay for what you get!  And,
the other tuners in your area will say "If he can get that much, so can I!"
So, the playing field is usually equalized again shortly anyway if you are
worried about that!

Bottom line:  CHARGE WHAT YOU ARE WORTH!  NOT A PENNY LESS!  We are in a
profession that we should be proud of and that few have knowledge of.  Don't
be afraid to get paid well for that knowledge!

Challenge:  Raise your prices this week. See what happens.  If you lose
customers, you can always go back down.  You can thank me later!

Devlon
Western KY Univ.