Piano-Organ..

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 08:40:35 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/01 6:54:21 AM Central Daylight Time,
tito@PhilBondi.com writes:

> A friend has shown me something I have never seen nor heard of..A Piano that
> is also an organ..made by Jannsen..it's a full 88 note piano with organ
> stops and the electronics are secured to the fallboard.
>
> I wish I could have heard it, but I think that may be a good
> improbablility..why? The piano is being 'stored' outside and it has to go up
> 2 flights of stairs..there's already evidence of rusted wire and keys that
> go down and don't come back.

I have seen two of these things. The organ didn't work because the tubes are
blown. And they don't make tubes any more.

Back in the late 50's or early 60's, when my dad first got started in the
business, Thomas Organ Co., I think in cooperation with the Starck Piano
company, made a piano/organ combination. The thing looked like a two manual
organ, except that the top manual was the organ, and the bottom was an 88
note piano. The problem with the thing was tuning. The engineers who designed
the thing put the organ tubes and wires, etc., in the way of the tuning pins.
The only way to tune the piano was to remove the organ keyboard completely.
One had to almost be an organ technician to do that job. Obviously the
instrument was not a big success.

Wim