Restoring old uprights

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 20:11:15 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Airy" <stephen_airy@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 13, 2001 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: Restoring old uprights

> also I would get started but I have no money to do it
> with (and no job).

Then I have another suggestion: find a local technician/rebuilder and trade
grunt work for instruction. Just remember that his/her time instructing you
is worth more than your time doing grunt work. Life ain't no free lunch--it
won't be a 1:1 exchange. Besides, most grunt work is some useful for
instruction purposes, muscles and nerve paths have to be trained to do
things repetitiously and accurately. Most things on the piano get done at
least 88 times.

As it is you're a long way from being able to receive any real value from
the answers it takes an experienced technician some amount of time to give
you. I don't mind investing time, but I don't like wasting it. Do your own
homework first--don't expect us to do it for you--at least learn the basics
yourself. Visit your local library and check out any and all books on the
piano that they can get. You should be able to find Reblitz (sp. ?), William
Braid White, Samuel Wolfenden, etc. No, they're not perfect but there is
still a lot of good foundational material there. Beg or borrow as many back
issues of the Journal as you can find. Study them--don't just look at the
pictures. Attend your local PTG chapter meetings--no excuses, I've heard
them all from a variety of wannabe's and their still wannabe's, just do it.
Listen much, talk little. Learn. You don't cut into the marathon at mile 25,
you start at the beginning. Try it and you'll find the qualified contestants
a bit rough.

Until then, you don't really have enough background to understand the
answers to the question you're asking.

Good luck,

Del