Restoring old uprights

Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:36:55 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: RCzekay@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: August 13, 2001 6:17 PM
  Subject: Re: Restoring old uprights

  Thanks to all who have offered many tips. It seems to me that the best =
way to=20
  go would be to remove the plate, bore the old pin holes to 3/8 and =
plug with=20
  3/8 hard rock maple dowels, or pin block material after adding a spot =
of=20
  epoxy or white glue for assurance.=20

  I'm not sure I'd want to use "white glue" there. You might want to =
stick with a liberal coating of epoxy--if you've not used this stuff =
before, please read the directions--or at least something like TiteBond =
II (or it's equivalent).

My next question is, how does one bore the new pin holes at a 7 degree =
angle,=20
which is SAP when boring a new grand plank?=20

  You might also want to watch that 7=BA back angle. It was never a good =
idea and it still isn't. The goal is to get the string to leave the pin =
at a very slight up angle. About 1/2=BA to no more than 1=BA from =
perpendicular. This will dictate the drilling angle which might be =
anywhere from 0=BA to whatever. Most of the time we drill at 1=BA to =
3=BA. Rarely any more than that.

On a drill press it easy to do,=20
but with an upright on its back using a hand drill that would seem to me =
to=20
be almost impossible. Are there jigs to attach to a hand held drill that =

would facilitate this operation?=20

  If I have to drill a block by hand I use a long wood bar attached to =
my drill that rides against my shoulder as I move the drill up and down. =
You can set a piece of wood with one side cut to the backangle you want =
just beside the drill bit to guide you. Sounds a bit crude, but works =
very effectively.

Also is there a tool to make one's own maple=20
or pin block material plugs? I'm 73 years old, and have not kept up with =
all=20
the latest innovations in tools and technology, so please bear with me. =
One=20
is never too old to learn!=20

  There are--they are called plug cutters and there has been some =
discussion of them on pianotech. You might check the archives. =
Personally, I wouldn't bother. I've made them and it's a pain in the =
neck. Check with Web Phillips--and probably others--and buy them. You =
should be able to get them for around $0.50 or so. It's worth the price =
to avoid making them yourself.

  Del