Lighten Touch

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 01:14:32 -0500

>>Ok,      now how do I do that?  The dampers are already lifting at
>>about half blow.  It does seem somewhat sluggish.  Please give me
>>your best advice...
>
>You could start with screwing some jiffy weights on the undersides of
>the keys, and then maybe some clear nail polish on the hammers. If
>that doesn't work, check with us again.
>
>Bill Ballard RPT

Hi Bill,
           Am I missing some thing? Sluggish and heavy action, where are
you going to screw these weights?  Behind the balance rail, this could
speed things up but up goes the down weight.  In front of the balance rail,
 the  weight goes down, along with some of the speed.
Not very good advice, unless I am completely missing some thing.
I don't like to see hammers treated with nail polish.  Use the correct
hardening agents, or just give them a good reshaping. This can also reduce
touch weight.
I'm sorry if my response seems harsh, but both practice's are less than
acceptable in my book.
Regars Roger