Restoring old uprights

Jon Page jon.page@verizon.net
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 07:41:27 -0400

At 10:21 PM 08/15/2001 -0700, you wrote:

> [...]

I have photos of an pin block inlay I did on a Bechstein a few years ago.

A table-mount drill press on the keybed with a Forstner bit removed most of
the stock
and a chisel cleaned up the perimeter. I left about 1/8" of block on the
bottom.  The inlays
were carefully fitted for 'no play' and epoxied in with Epoxy Tech 301.
After that shrank,
a thicker epoxy was added to the edges and repeated until full.  The flange
had MarineTex
epoxy applied and the plate fit in.

A new pin pattern was laid out on tracing paper and transferred to the
block.  I drilled the holes
before installing the inlays. I did not drill all the way through the block
in order to prevent the
epoxy from filling the holes from the bottom.

While I had the thin epoxy working, I reglued the square'd corners of the
case at the bass
and treble.

Five years prior another "rebuilder" had plugged the block. Unfortunately
he did not tend to the splits
between the holes and the plugs caused the cracks to expand...

The sound board had large areas loose from the ribs which the customer
didn't have the money
to replace.  I devised the Sound Board Press which employs wooden I-beams
clamped to the rim
with pipe clamps and spring-loaded plungers to apply pressure for reglueing
the ribs, the board
was supported from the bottom; jpg's available.

A fun project.

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jon.page@verizon.net