Open face vs. closed face pin blocks

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:51:33 0000

     I would like to amend what I said earlier.  I said that if I were building
a piano I would lean toward an open face pinblock design.  What I
think I would prefer to use is an open face pinblock set in a plate
that is closed beneath the pinblock.  I believe Chickering (and others?)
used such a system at one time.  It seems to me that you get the tuning
advantages of the open face design but you get the stiffness of the
closed face design because you have the full depth beam in the pinblock
area of the plate.  One problem with the old Chickering design was that
it was very labor intensive to fit the pinblock to the plate (does anyone
know of other reasons for abandoning this design?).  With proper plate
design and NC machining I don't see why a design like this should
present a problem in a modern factory environment.
     Another topic which I didn't bring up before was plate bushings.  It
seems in theory that a closed plate design with plate bushings should
tune like an open face design.  The distance of the string to the plate
could be the same as the distance from the string to the pinblock in
an open face design.  However, in my experience pianos with plate
bushings feel more or less like any other closed face design without
plate bushings.  Perhaps this is because of the poor quality of the plate
bushings.  I wonder what would be the result of using bushings of good
material (say laminated maple) that fit closely to the plate and are glued
to the surface of the block.  The holes are then drilled through bushing
and pinblock at the same time so that the bushings essentially become
part of the pinblock?  I can imagine that it would be a manufacturing
nightmare.  But it might give a closed face pinblock that tunes like an
open face pinblock.

Phil
---
Phillip Ford

> [...]