What to Tell Owner About Her BAD Piano

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 22:46:11 -0000

Hi Terry,

This can be tricky, but when I'm faced with this situation and am asked by
the owner about the piano (quite often), I mention (with a serious look on
my usually happy face) that there are false beats etc etc, and that the
piano isn't any longer capable of as fine a tuning as it might once have
been. I then suggest it may not standup to the expectations of a serious
musician. Best to be forth-right and honest.
Most people welcome an honest appraisal, politely offered BUT only when
asked!
I'm always amazed at what clients recall they've been told by myself or
other tuners about their piano. People do remember certain instructions and
comments so we should be mindful of what we say. An older (now retired)
local tuner would politely mention to clients of older sub-standard
instruments when requesting a tuning, "We'll see if we can get one more
tuning into it for you" meaning he was giving himself a way out for next
time and "telling" the client the piano was near the end of it's useful
life.
Whatever we say it must be true, kind and helpful or we'll invariably trip
ourselves up next time.
This certainly assists in gaining the respect of our clients.
This may or may-not be of use in your situation though,

Regards,

Graeme Harvey
New Plymouth
New Zealand

Terry wrote......
I tune many older, low quality pianos that have a lot of noise, false beats,
etc. in them. Put a good tuning on 'em and they still sound quite a bit less
than stellar. I tuned a 1974 Sorry & Cluck console today. One of the worst I
have met in terms of noise (in that you cannot get a clean unison), and
false beats (top two octaves are trashed). It was 30 cents flat in bass and
up to 100 cents flat in high-treble. Raised pitch, & tuned. Then the lady
tells me that in a week or so some friend of hers is coming to visit. This
lady is reported to be a very advanced pianist. The guest will be playing
the piano - that is why the once-every-20-years tuning.

Now surely anyone that is a good pianist will sit down to play this thing
for about a minute, and then say to the owner "Eleanor, I thought you said
you just had this piano tuned?" Like, I'm tuning this thing and thinking
that this lady will call me in two weeks and want me to "tune it right this
time". I know it is best to not say anything about the lousy pianos to
owners - and I don't. But, boy, in a case like this I really want to tell
her to not expect much - her piano sounds better - but it still sounds
like......well, you know. Any suggestions?

IT'S NOT MY FAULT YOU HAVE A BAD PIANO, LADY!

Terry Farrell