rim laminations

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 01:08:54 +0100

At 10:47 17/08/01 -0500, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>I noticed yesterday that a Yamaha C3 has an inner rim alternating
>laminations of maple (?) and mahogany. Does anyone know how long they have
>done this?

I'm just guessing but I doubt very much if it's maple but rather one of
those yellower and more fibrous woods of far eastern origin.  'Mahogany' is
also a pretty broad term.  The Japanese hammer-shanks I use do seem to be
of maple, but it has a sort of silvery sheen rather like birch and is
somehow not quite the same as European or Canadian maple.

The Steinway long bridge on the other hand is alternate layers of maple and
mahogany and I seem to remember Fazioli also does this, but I could well be
imagining it - he certainly caps the extreme treble with box, which is a
good touch.

JD