plate reaction was Re: Pitch Raising to A440.......Or Not?

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:34:07 -0400

> This is something new to me. Are you saying the plate reacts to a pitch raise
> more than the soundboard? I am not sure If I agree that the drop in pitch
> from an overshoot is because something happens to the plate, and not because

Hi Wim

This is indeed the case.

You can prove it to yourself easily enough.  The next time you plan to restring
a piano give it a fast unison tune and measure each note above the bass break
using your favorite flavor of ETD.  Remove the bass strings only then again
measure each note and plot the differences.  Look at the graph and draw your own
conclusions.

Have you moved yet?

		Newton