decal missing

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:40:55 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David M. Porritt=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 1:21 PM
  Subject: Re: decal missing

  Paul:

  If "Baldwin" is not cast in the plate it is probably a forgery.  =
Unscrupulous techs or dealers have put those little "Baldwin" circles in =
stencil pianos because that is a widely known name.  The Chickering name =
gets used a lot too.  If there is the claim that a piano is a major name =
and it is not cast in the plate, it isn't.

  dave
  _  Dave
            Respectfully, not always true IMHO. I have a M+H  A in my =
practice, Mason all the way ,Tension resonator, W.N.+G action, and more =
evidence throughout and no name cast in the plate. This piano was =
confirmed Mason by the then Tech representative in Mass . Curious I know =
and I do agree that  this is a warning flag for misrepresentation , Tom =