rim laminations

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:09:09 -0500

>I'm just guessing but I doubt very much if it's maple but rather one of
>those yellower and more fibrous woods of far eastern origin.

You're most likely right, but my interest was in the alternating layers of
what are presumably relatively hard and relatively soft "hardwoods". I was
wondering if this is a recent change, or just another thing I have failed
to notice lo these many years. So how long have they been doing that?

>The Steinway long bridge on the other hand is alternate layers of maple and
>mahogany

It is? The C series Yamahas and RX Kawais are a vertically laminated mix of
light and dark meat, but I don't recall seeing a Steinway bridge bent of
anything but maple. Again, maybe I'm just not paying attention.

Ron N