Beveled edge on bass bridge

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 20:45:06 -0500

Ron, Jon, and Newton,

<<Yes - don't. If you make a pattern, you will be transferring what was
originally the hole layout on the top of the old bridge cap (with whatever
corrections you might want to make) to the top of the new bridge cap. If
you use the old cap as a pattern and the old cap was, say, 6mm or so thick,
then you will be transferring the hole pattern that was at the BOTTOM of
the old cap to the TOP of the new cap. With the pin inclination angle
involved, you will end up with NO stagger.>>

Thanks once again, gentlemen, for your assistance. What you wrote makes
sense. There are so many things to think through, and I appreciate your
willingness to help a beginning rebuilder do it right. The old bridge cap
was in good condition, not needing recapping; but I wanted to get the
experience. So...here I am, learning. So far, I have better success removing
things than putting them back on. :-) But, as is the case, the knowledge
gained in applying the old noodle is well worth the experience.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS
PTG Associate, Memphis Chapter

mailto:jformsma@dixie-net.com