plate reaction was Re: Pitch Raising to A440.......Or Not?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 16:17:41 -0500

>> Hi Sid,
>> Obviously, something is moving, but why does it have to be the plate
>> flexing?
>
>Sorry, didn't mean to impy that here...hope I didn't seem inflexible...

No, not at all. I don't type so pretty fast, so I might tend to sound terse
even if I'm not aggravated about something. It was a fine observation.

>Makes all kinds of sense.  But in the case where after a couple of weeks the
>unisons are better than I expect and the pitch has dropped most in the mid
>treble  always assumed that the board and maybe the entire structure was
>moving around.

That mid treble drop might very well be the board. With the curve of the
bridge, the bearing leverage is a little different there, and the killer
octave is haunted anyway. Then again, tuning certain makes of pianos (I
notice it most on Yamahas), I find that after pulling a string up over
about six cents, it will drop quite a bit if I whack it. I have always
thought that was the string rendering through the bridge in that area,
since I couldn't account for it any other way. Perhaps that's the area of
the scale where the back scale becomes long enough compared to the front
scale for this to make a big difference. I don't really know, but it seemed
plausible at the time.

>Don't mean to harp on this subject, I'm just thinking about
>all the variables involved in predicting, for the customer's benefit, when
>to plan on a follow-up tuning.

No problem. Harp away. There are a lot of these little curses that we have
to deal with out in the field with no official answer as to what causes
them or what can be done about them. The folks that come up with these
answers are us, and we can't work things out without a little haggling over
the details. We have to try to sort the probables from the imponderables
somehow.
Ron N