transposing pianos

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 20:55:11 -0100

Hi,

Ruckers doubles have lower manuals lower by a fifth. (Hubbard registers
gots more notes than their keyboards, though the pitch standards this
accommodates are much closer together)

Huygens proposed a transposing keyboards to give managable subsets of
31:

> ...having made the keys that raise the jacks all equal in length,
> height and width, whose width makes a fifth of that of an ordinary
> key, place above [them] a movable keyboard, with points attached
> below all [these] keys; which are well adjusted once, for
> sounding the strings that one employs for each Octave, they will
> be the same for all the Transpositions...I have had made in Paris
> some few mobile keyboards, for placing above the ordinary keys of
> Harpsichords, & making by this means many Transpositions, though
> not all complete; & this invention was approved & imitated by the
> great masters.

 	- Hygens, Christaan. Lettre touchant le cycle harmonique; 1691.

Harding includes:

UK2562. Ryley, Edward - 1801
Scottish Record Office ref. ?.10; Ryley, Edward, 1808
FR1333; Erard brothers - 1812
FR1107; Roller,... - 1820
FR1380; Wagners, Jean-Baptiste - 1820
Austria; Bohm, Joseph - 1820
BE0904, order nr 133; Lacroix, Mathieu - 1830
Bavaria; Schidt, J and Greiner, Friedrich - 1831
UK6835; Fischer, Pierre Frederich - 1835
BE765, o.nr.123; Rouhette, Francois Joseph - 1836
BE2214, o.nr.1629,index nr.1188; Vanlair, Gerard - 1842
FR12376; Le Bihan,.. - 1843
UK10430; Mercier, Sebastian - 1844
UK10385; Hewitt, Daniel Chandler - 1844
Scottish Record Office ref. 10657; Addison Robert - 1845
FR3711, 3rd add.; Montal, Claude - 1851
UK11285; Wooley, Thomas - 1846
UK11261; Storer, Joseph - 1846
FR1888; Montal, Claude - 1846

	- Harding, Rosamond. The piano-forte; 1933.

Also you can check the Patent Office online, here are the relevant
classifications to put into the search (be sure first to select "All
years"):

ccl/82/445
ccl/82/446
ccl/84/447
ccl/84/448

Which mean transposers, transposers with auxiliary keyboard, transposers
with keyboard shifted, and transposers with intermediate parts shifted.
This is the USPTO search page:

<http://164.195.100.11/netahtml/search-adv.htm>

These may return long lists of numbers without further explanation, but
you can guess according to approximate dates - US1379 - 1839, US7292 -
1850, US106396 - 1870, US229066 - 1880, US424202 - 1890, US666138, 1901
(all piano stuff). If you run Windows you'll want the AlternaTiff plugin
to view them, which can be downloaded free at
<http://www.alternatiff.com/>

Clark