plate reaction was Re: Pitch Raising to A440.......Or Not?

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:36:01 -0500

> Does the plate "flex" or "compress"...well yes without a doubt it does....
>to some extent......... the question is 'which way'?

Hi Jim,
           Over generalization,  Upwards I would say, thats why so many
pianos have nose bolts.  Some pianos use just a plain lag bolt, others, the
more stable clamp type lag bolt.  Working out all the tortional stresses in
a piano plate is highly complex, since the turning moments of force is
running in several different directions.  ( String lay out and over
stringing)

Your thought's on pitch and static friction, is probably correct. But any
calculation of static friction would just be a a calculated guess, since we
are putting the string into motion, Is this enough to break static
friction?  From Ron. O's Experience of tuning rear duplexes,  I think it
may be.  His observation is that it takes 6months with regular tunings to
reach this state.

So another question. As the string takes on a set, (bend around the pins).
 Is the tansverse and longditudinal modes of the strings changing, due to
the bends?  Thereby helping string rendering.

Now I crawl back under my rock, since I am at a loss.

Roger