Open face vs. closed face pin blocks

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 16:04:27 0000

Ron,
Good point about the twisting of the pin.  I hadn't been considering that.
One more item in the plus column for an open face pinblock (tuning wise,
at least).

Phil

---
Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave
San Francisco, CA  94124

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 13:18:46
 Ron Nossaman wrote:
>>  Assuming that the bushings are truly effective, then the pin
>>bending in this case should be no more than for an open face pinblock
>>arrangement.  In which case, the closed face design with tuning pin bushings
>>would have the lowest deflection (would be the stiffest) of all.
>
>Hi Phil,
>Not exactly, since the bushing isn't as rigid or resilient as the pinblock.
>The stiffest would be the open face (minimum free twist, minimum flex),
>followed by closed face with bushings (low moderate free twist, minimum
>flex), with closed face without bushings being least stiff (maximum free
>twist, maximum flex) - unless they're leaning on the plate (near maximum
>free twist, minimum flex).
>
>Ron N

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!