Discussion among Peers (too long...sorry)

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:20:25 EDT

>I am not comfortable with this list as the primary learning resource for
anybody just getting into the business.>

I am probably among the least educated techs (at least in terms of piano
technology---I do have a Master's Degree in Music) of the subscribers to this
list.  Perhaps for that very reason, the list is so important to me.   I
cannot take time off to go to school to further my knowledge of pianos, so I
do what I can:  I have joined the local PTG,  I attended the convention, I
have tutoring sessions with 2 local RPTs, and...I subscribe to this list.   I
don't feel that it has been my "primary learning resource", but there's so
much information here....it's great!

It may not be your job to educate me personally, but I have to ask, what is
the purpose of this list if not to educate, to share ideas, and to learn from
each other?  Aren't the majority of posts asking for advice or information
from others?

Let me tell you what prompted me to join the PTG.  I audited a meeting two
years ago.  At that meeting two new members were accepted into the local.
One had been tuning pianos for 25 years, the other for 20.  I thought, "I
don't belong here."  (I had been in the business 3 years at that point.)

Then I subscribed to the list.  Do you know the most important thing I
learned?  Here it is: in this field, you NEVER stop learning, and you NEVER
know everything there is to know.  I had felt I didn't belong in the PTG
because there was so much I didn't know, but after subscribing to the list I
realized that no one knows all there is to know about pianos.   (If someone
on the list DOES know everything about pianos, I apologize to you.)

So I joined the PTG and it has been a great experience.  I wouldn't be a
member if it weren't for the list.

I apologize for the length of this post.  The subject matter just resonated
with me.

Tom Sivak
Chicago PTG Associate

P.S.

I hope no one resents the questions that I occasionally pose.  (See following
post!)