S&S tuning pins...

Richard Brekne rbrekne@operamail.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:42:28 +0200

23.08.2001 01:09:12, "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Ron,
>If Plate Bushings were made correctly, as they originally were designed,
>then they would definately have an effect on the overall torque. I
>personally can varify this with past rebuilds, using plate bushings made out
>of pin block material. And with the system I have devised for preparing
>regular plate bushings, prior to installation. This system retards the
>failure rate considerably.
>Regards,
>Joe Garrett

If I am not mistaken Dels point about plate bushings being doomed to failure has to do with wood expanding with humidity against two
unmovable surfaces.. the result will be at least a partially crushed bushing. ???

That being said, I have seen plenty of examples of very very tight bushings on pianos that have seen many seasons, and I cant help
but think there is some measure of friction added to the mix.... tho whether its significant or not is another matter.

I think Ron has it really... they help deal with flagpolling... and not a whole lot else. That is unless this influence on tone buisness has
some merit to it.

Richard Brekne
RPT, NPTF
Sydneskleiven 1