Fender Rhodes Tuning - Emergency!!!

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:51:39 -0400

Terry,

You can get lots of info on Rhodes pianos at www.fenderrhodes.org, including
the Rhodes service manual. Also, if you subscribe to the Rhodes email list
(info about it is on the website), there are many people there who are
experts in servicing (and designing!) Rhodes pianos, and they don't mind
questions. It's a pretty relaxed group.

The "tine" is a thin metal rod that the hammer strikes, causing the tone bar
connected to it to vibrate. A pickup (much like a guitar pickup) picks up
the sound of the vibrating tone bar.

If the customer says the "tine" doesn't have enough volume, that's like
saying a piano has one "sour" note, or something of the sort. It could be
that the pickup isn't close enough to the tone bar or something like that.
I'm more of a Rhodes enthusiast than a technician, so I'd refer you to the
rhodes email list for specific technical questions. Some of those guys
really know their stuff.

Charles