Smoke

Jon Page jon.page@verizon.net
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 19:19:15 -0400

At 09:28 AM 08/23/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>I have a nice lady customer who is suffering the effects of a previous
>owner who smoked up the piano.
>
>What is the most effective way to eliminate smoke odor from an upright,
>short of an ozone chamber?
>
>Thanks
>Roy Ulrich

A thorough cleaning of the case with a dilute solution of a janitorial
degreaser. The first two
applications will get most of it but you have to let it dry a bit so as not
to  soften or over wet the finish.

Usually one more cleaning will net a relatively clean wipe-up cloth.

A complete disassembly of the case, don't forget the back and the sounding
board.

Blow out the action to remove the odor ridden dust and spend extra time
blowing off the hammers.

There are odor agents available at your local janitorial supply to spray
the interior.

Polish the key pins while it's apart, tighten all action screws. Ease the
keys...

Not an enviable job,

Jon Page

PS  Get lots of rags