Steinway laminated bridges

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 23:25:54 0000

Ron,
I seem to have lost my copy of the previous e-mail, which was about the
materials used in Steinway bridges, all maple, or maple and other (mahogany
being the most likely conjecture).  I checked an 1890s B and 1890s C and both
have the mix of maple and other.  I recently re-whatevered a 1930s A and
recapped the bridge.  Since I must have been staring at the bare naked
laminations for some hours you'd think it would have made an impression on
me but apparently not enough of one.  I'm not sure if it was all maple or not.
The more I think about it the more convinced I am that it was all maple.  Since
you say you checked a 1920s piano that was all maple I wonder if a
transition took place between 1900 and 1920 or so.  I have a 1910s O in the
shop which is not accessible at the moment (my shop is not as neat and
organized as it might be) and it would be interesting to check that one.  I
also have a 1920s M and 1930s A coming into the shop in the next couple of
weeks so I can also check those.  I suppose one of us could call Steinway and
ask, but that's sort of like reading the instructions to your VCR, it takes all the
challenge out of it.

Phil

---
Phillip Ford