Knots to you

Jon Page jon.page@verizon.net
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:56:08 -0400

At 09:26 PM 08/23/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Would it not be much more practical to just replace the string with new wire?
>If a string broke once, it for sure will break again in the future. True, you
>will have to go back to bring it up to pitch a few times, but in my
>estimation that is a much better solution than tying a new piece of wire to
>an old length that is at the end of its life.
>
>Another thought...If you are tuning an older piano, and you break a few
>strings, it is time to sell the customer a restringing job if the piano is
>worthy of it. More than likely, the tuning pins will be on the loose side
>also.
>
>Roy Czekay,
>Milwaukee

If the string is still around the hitch pin and in the bridge pins on an
old upright,
one does not need to remove the action.

On a grand. The cosmetic appearance is maintained by not having a shiny wire
amongst the lot. There is less follow-up tuning due to less wire stretching
(if you
compress the knot sufficiently during tensioning).  No change in tone
either from
new wire.

I have splices on the speaking length of bass strings holding for 20 years.
I'd like to see you convince the owners of these restaurants to restring.
They'll pay a bus boy to paint it black first.

Splices have a place in your arsenal,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jon.page@verizon.net