Knots to you

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 19:56:44 -0600

Hi Roy,
I would much rather tie a knot than drive 100 to 150 miles to bring up =
the pitch 3 or 4 times as would be needed with new wire.
Espicially the bass strings.
Secondly it takes me much longer to re string a note by the time all =
supplies are in the house ready to go. So again=20
a knot is my choice. And you are correct this is old upright work not =
new or top of the line instruments by any means<G>
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: RCzekay@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 7:26 PM
  Subject: Re: Knots to you

  Would it not be much more practical to just replace the string with =
new wire?=20
  If a string broke once, it for sure will break again in the future. =
True, you=20
  will have to go back to bring it up to pitch a few times, but in my=20
  estimation that is a much better solution than tying a new piece of =
wire to=20
  an old length that is at the end of its life.=20

  Another thought...If you are tuning an older piano, and you break a =
few=20
  strings, it is time to sell the customer a restringing job if the =
piano is=20
  worthy of it. More than likely, the tuning pins will be on the loose =
side=20
  also.=20

  Roy Czekay,=20
  Milwaukee=20