Knots to you

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:58:16 -0400

Roy,

to make a blanket statement.  Sometimes I think it is better (notice I'm
going broader than simple practicality) to replace the string and
sometimes to do a repair.  For instance, the tone of a new bass string
may be markedly different than its neighbors; I would not consider that
better.  I would also consider the general condition of the piano when
deciding which way to go.  And it is not necessarily true that if a
string breaks once it will surely break again.  Only rarely have I found
this to be the case during the 21 years I've been in business.

As to your thought about selling a restringing job,  you included the
big "if."  Yes, I agree with you, IF the piano is worthy of it, but most
of the time it is not, unless you are going to sell a complete
reconditioning at the same time.  And often it's not worth that, either.

Regards, Clyde