S&S tuning pins...

Richard Brekne rbrekne@operamail.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:52:21 +0200

24.08.2001 14:58:03, antares <antares@EURONET.NL> wrote:

>Hello Friend Brekne and Del,
>
>You two asked me for an explanation in regard to my former statements?
>
>I must disappoint you, I can not give a scientific reason. On the other
>hand, I did not say why tuning pins bushings  influence the tone, I just
>said they do.

No disappointment... well perhaps just a little.. but I didnt expect to hear a science reason about this one.

>That I can explain :
>
>My first encounter with this was may years ago during my very first visit at
>the Steinway factory in Hamburg.
>I asked why STW did not have tuning pins bushings and they told me that it
>gave another tone..I did not understand it but just took swallowed that
>explanation.
>Then many years later in 1998 I did the Yamaha Concert grand course and 'my
>instrument' was a prototype without bushings and it did sound much better.
>the tone was more clear and open.
>Since then all CFIIS grand have tuning pins without bushings and the do
>sound better.

Well, I for one am pretty hesitant to simply discount direct observation (however subjective they maybe) just because something
cannot be explained. I can be pretty skeptical for sure..... but its always a good idea to have this big wad of... "lets not be too sure of
ourselves" in my back pocket.

>It probably has to do with energy not being killed by this 'collar around
>the neck'

Thats the Circle of Sound allright... no doubts about it... sheesh I sure wish this one could be confirmed one way or the other. Got to
thinking about this and the flagpoling discussion.... maybe the pins need to flagpole in order to be free enough to contribute to the
tone ??? I have heard some argument along this line regarding how far the bottom of the coils should be from the face of an open face
pinblock now that I think about it..

Pure speculation... but it would be interesting to see some facts. I wonder if Yamaha knows something they arent telling us. ??

>friendly greetings
>from
>
>Antares,

Richard Brekne