S&S tuning pins...

Richard Brekne rbrekne@operamail.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:57:10 +0200

24.08.2001 16:42:53, "Tom Servinsky" <tompiano@gate.net> wrote:

>Wouldn't the absence of tuning bushings also suggest the need for a much
>more finely fitted pinblock, as it should, thus possibly producing a
>side-effect of inhibiting the tone? Just a thought.
>It has been evident that many current production instruments which use
>tuning pin bushings also disregard the need to fit the pinblock. Yamaha and
>Kawai come to mind.
>I am interested in hearing the opinions out there who have converted pianos
>(like Yamaha or Kawai) with blocks properly fitted and eliminated the tuning
>bushings altogether. Any tonal improvement?

Sure... and we've been through that discussion a couple times in the last couple years... not so long ago last time either. Interesting
stuff in the archives about that.

We have a fellow in town who scoffs big time at Steinway and their bushless grands. He routinely installs bushings on them whenever he
gets the chance and his reason is simple...he means that this makes the wrest plank more stable.

Read on !

Richard Brekne
RPT, NPTF
Sydneskleiven 1