Poor Technician Workmanship Question (kinda long)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 19:13:40 -0400

If you can't stand pure venting, push delete now. Venting follows:

Tuned/serviced a piano that was new to me. 1890 Kimball 5' 7" grand. Lady
made appt. and told me enthusiastically that it had recently been COMPLETELY
redone inside. The work was done my a local RPT, member of the guild. This
is the third "completely redone" piano of his I have run across. It was
consistent with the others I have seen. (One lady called me to inspect his
work because she feared it was substandard -  concurred with her.) He
advertises in the Yellow Pages as being an RPT and member of the PTG. I
charged the lady $245 to tune this Kimball grand..........and fix the keys
that were not playing.............and fix the dampers that would not quit
playing, etc., etc.

The first thing, and the thing that buggs me the most, is that this lady had
the clear understanding that her piano was COMPLETELY REBUILT. I
specifically asked her whether the tech gave her a range of options for
improving her piano, and perhaps she chose to do limited work because of
financial constraints or just didn't want to spend a bundle on that piano.
She said no. Her understanding was that there was nothing else to improve on
this piano.

Bass strings were replaced with supply-house type strings. Forward and rear
windings ended as much as 3/4" off from its corresponding unison. Common was
about 3/8" off. Coils were all over the place - loose, and ranged from a
good 1/4" off plate to jammed into plate with a tight coil. Size-larger
tuning pins were all different heights.

Hammers were replaced. Shanks sticking out back side of hammer (looked like
they were chewed off). No trimming, no surfacing/filing (they had the cupped
surface on top), to tapering, no tail shaping. He had to have done the
boring (or maybe his 6 year-old great-grandson). Hammers were at all angles.
Any one hammer was off being straight on several planes (it's hard to even
describe how crooked they were - strings were not being hit straight on by
the hammer at all - that is the ones that were being hit). Hammers were so
mis-aligned many strings were not being struck by respective hammer.

About a dozen notes were not playing because hammer tails were dragging on
backcheck. Many hammers were blocking against string because they never went
through letoff. The end of hammer travel on many notes was terminated not by
letoff, but because letoff was like 1/2" below string and the drop
adjustment went almost up to the string such that the rep lever carried the
hammer the rest of the way.

Keys were rebushed (front rail only) and recovered and new felt was on
keyframe. The keys were about as unlevel and crooked (leaning) and poorly
spaced as ANY old upright I have ever seen (you know the ones with
mouse-eaten felts).

About a half dozen dampers were non-functional. He replaced the felt on them
with the supply-house set for uprights. Felt at all angles and positions on
the damper heads. Wires that looked like pretzels. I have never bent a set
of damper wires. I was kinda shy about even trying to fix them, but upon
inspection, they looked like a forest of trees where the wind blows hard
from one predominant direction. Some of the screws in the back action were
missing so it appeared he took the straight wire and bent the last 3/8" or
so a bit and then jammed the crooked wire into the little wooden block to
hold it there (what is it called??? the little block on the back action that
the damper wire goes into). I started by removing the dampers and wires and
making them as perfectly straight as I could. I put them back in and
waaalaa, they worked fine, just like that. One of the dampers that was
slow - I didn't even want to touch it - appeared to be held in its block
with chewed gum.

He charged her $2,000. All of the work should be completely redone. Maybe
the back rail cloth on the action frame would be OK. I could go on. I think
you get the picture. I was sooooo happy to find the lady had a wonderful
sense of humor. At one point she asked me if I was going to shoot it.

Just curious, are we supposed to report a clown like this to somebody at
PTG? This dude is an embarrassment to all members of PTG.

Terry Farrell