hammer acceleration

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 05:19:39 -0500

Hi David,
              The Abel shanks are lighter than the Renner, this can add to you
observations.  Also no graphite depending on the humidity in your area, this
can be a significant difference re friction.  These are the two reasons I
prefer the Abel shanks.
It's been a while since I used Renner shanks, so things may have changed.
  I have not noticed any thing amiss with any of Wally's knuckles with regards
to friction, and I know he is very vigilant with regards to dimensions,
alignment and friction.  He gets a lot of feed back, so talk to him, he may
have some extra ideas.
Is this a Steinway?  If so the capstan and heel geometry is critical.  1mm
change can mean a whole lot, so check carefully.
Just some random thoughts.
Roger

At 11:48 AM 8/24/01 -0700, you wrote:

> Roger/Newton:
>
> In this case it is new parts.  Renner wippens, Abel shanks.  Center pins are
> fine everything is lubricated properly and adequately.  I am aware of the
> static friction element but it seems more than that.   I do notice that the
> leather on the Abel shanks is much different than the leather on Renner
> shanks, which I have generally used in the past.  The Abel knuckles seem not
> as smooth and soft as Renner's.  Any comments on that?
>
> David Love

This