Yamaha Butt Spring Cord

Mikito HAYASHI mickey_hayashi@geocities.co.jp
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 20:30:18 +0900

Hello Tom,
I also replace the broken cords without replacing the flanges.

Tom Driscoll wrote:
>     With replacement yamaha cord on hand I procede as follows

What a surprise, your method is almost the same as mine!

> 3-Loosen but plate screws and remove butt-hammer assemblies
> and set aside in order.(these are  numbered so  check that they are
> sequential as you reinstall )

I usually don't remove bridle straps apart from wippens. Keep butt-hammer
assemblies hanging from the bridle wires...it may save the troubles of
re-installing straps and, of setting aside in order.

> 4- Now your flanges and cords are wide open. Remove the old
> cords. I experimented with various tools to clean out the slots and found
> the point of a small spade drill bit to work best .Vac any debris from the
> slots .

It's a good idea using a drill bit!
For easy removal, I usually put acetone(or manicure remover) prior to
scratch the slots.

BTW, do you have any tips for working on the Yamahas WITHOUT BUTT PLATES?
It's very troublesome for me. I can't find any remedies besides replacing
flanges...

Mikito Hayashi
Tokyo, Japan