Steinway laminated bridges

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 22:18:28 -0500

> I suppose one of us could call Steinway and
>ask, but that's sort of like reading the instructions to your VCR, it takes
>all the challenge out of it.
>
>Phil

Curiosity is a terrible thing Phil, but the challenge lives on. I checked
the Steinway patents on their web site this evening, and found yet another
interesting little bit. Patent # 233,710 granted on October 26, 1880 is for
a bridge laminated with alternating layers of maple and pine. How's that
for another "layer" of mystery? They don't seem to supply us the abstract
though, so I don't know why this was done. Later, I suspect they figured
they ought to use a contrasting color in the soft(er) wood so it was
obvious. No sense in wasting time on a selling point no one notices.

Ron N