hammer acceleration

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 01:17:31 -0500

At 09:30 PM 8/24/01 -0700, you wrote:

> Roger:
>
> It is a Steinway from the 1980's and its a bit of a mess.  Sharps and
> naturals have different key ratios (oops).

Hi David,
              This is starting to look like a misplaced capstan line.  How
much
dip is needed to give you correct let off and after touch?   How far off are
you from the magic line at half blow distance?   Is the heel centred over the
capstan?
These questions will point you towards probable geometry problems.

I have just finished installing the all new Steinway parts on a 69'  D, I'm
delighted with the results.  Suprised the hell out of me.  But they have lived
up to all the Reno hype.    51-47gm DW with mid twenties UP.    The new
Knuckles look like kangaroo skin, definitely not buck skin, no large cup like
the last S & S shanks that I used, and no where near as rough.  All flanges
had
very acceptable friction.

Good luck in your quest.
Roger

All shanks and wippens less than 1gm variance.  Again a hugh improvement from
the last set of parts that I used from them.