Appearance

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 08:49:52 -0500

Eliot,

<<...if I change my appearance by wearing a shirt and tie, instead of
wearing casual
dress, jeans and polo shirt, that I could increase my annual salary by
$30,000.>>

If it increases my salary by $30,000, then I would wear polka dot undies on
my head. :-)

It depends on the area in which you are located. New York City has much
different standards than Podunkville, MS. I wear khakis and polos, and have
considered getting polos with my logo on them.

<<The problem is that here in Phoenix it is so hot, many homes are not
properly cooled, I shutter to think how much I would suffer with the top
button fastened wearing a tie, and to wear a suit coat over that would
really be unbearable.>>

I know those who wear jeans and a white dress shirt with a tie. However, I
think in today's culture, that is outre. My guess is that a person's image
of today's piano technician does not include a tie, especially with jeans.

When I first started working full time, I wore jeans, but soon decided they
look unprofessional. The only time that I now wear jeans is if I install a
grand DC system or have to do a lot of work underneath the piano. Also, if
the majority of your customer base dresses casual, you might use that as an
indicator of how you should dress. Conversely, if you are trying to attract
the upper income folks, then you would possibly dress like they do.

The most important thing is to look neat. People who own good pianos
generally are not unkempt and wouldn't want unkempt techs either.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS
PTG Associate, Memphis Chapter

mailto:jformsma@dixie-net.com