Solid Pianos

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 19:27:22 -0400

I did not know what to write as the subject of this post. This morning I
tuned one of my favorite pianos in the whole world: a 1910s, 1920s Baldwin
R. Absolutely magnificent piano. Restrung four years ago at the local
Steinway dealer (new block). Original board and bridges. I refurbished the
action a couple years ago and put on new Abel hammers, shanks, and flanges.

My point here is that there is something about this piano that I have only
heard/felt/sensed in a few other pianos -  most notably, Steinways. There is
a super solid and connected feeling you get when you hit the key, feel the
hammer hit the string, feel the impact with your knee under the keybed, and
hear the solid tone of the note. The sensation is a combination of hearing
and feeling with your knee, your finger, your feet, etc. (I wish I could
explain it better). There is a solid connection/feeling between the hitting
of the key and the sounding of the note that incorporates the whole piano,
the floor, etc. I play my very lovely, great sounding, great playing, Boston
grand and it does not happen. It plays very nice. It sounds very nice. But
you cannot connect with the inner spirit of the piano like you can with this
Baldwin - and a few Steinways that I service.

In light of recent posts on unbushed tuning pins, I should point out that
this Baldwin does not have tuning pin bushings. My Boston is kinda like
driving a Cadillac with an automatic transmission: very, very nice - what a
pleasure to drive. This Baldwin is like driving a finely tuned and
well-prepped Lamborghini - may not be good to sleep in while driving, but
OH, what a ride!!!

Am I having an acid flashback, or are some pianos like this??? What is it I
am sensing??? Should I cut out the few shots of Jack before my
appointments???

;-)

With Great Spirits (piano that is)
Terry Farrell