Appearance

Eugenia Carter ginacarter@carolina.rr.com
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 22:33:46 -0400

Hi Zen,

It all depends...

On what works for the individual. :-)

My professional dress includes almost everything from jeans to my black silk
shirt and long black wool in winter, cotton in summer, skirt for concert
attire.

I do admit that I have an advantage since I'm almost 5'3". As Susan Graham
once said, we shorter people can sit upright in complete comfort while
working beneath a grand piano. I, therefore, can wear long skirts (which I
do), slacks, jeans, whatever, depending on what I have scheduled for that
day. Mini skirts and work do not equate for me.

If I'm going to a new customer, I know reasonably well based on our phone
interview what I will need to do to the piano; I want to create a positive
impression when I arrive so I will be dressed neatly, comfortably and with
what fits my mood for the day.

Of course, we Southerners are more casual today, especially since the influx
of all the rest of the country who has recently discovered who wonderfully
beautiful the South is. :-)

I guess what I'm saying is what works for one may not work for another. But
isn't that one of the major reasons we are piano technicians---the ability
to be individuals? If it's been working for you in the past, it should
continue in the future. If it hasn't, then be creative and try new
approaches.

Best,

Gina