Solid Pianos

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 07:00:53 -0400

Two days ago I tuned an 1895 Mathushek upright.  It's shot, and I'm just
beginning to distinguish some of the tonal characteristics that are easy for
those of you with lots more experience (I've only been fulltime nine years).  But
something about this particular piano had me thinking, "I would have liked to
hear this piano when it was new."  There were remnants of tone there, especially
in the bass, that really appealed to me.

Someday, somewhere, I would like to hear an old upright that received a really
good rebuilding job, but as we all know, it's usually not considered practical to
do that.  This could change, I suppose, as more and more end up in the landfill.

Every now and then a client will say how they like the way their old upright
sounds when compared to the newer consoles.  I've made the comparison already
with someone who might drive a worn-out Mercedes or BMW.  Even though it doesn't
work or look nearly like it did originally, the original quality can still be
observed and appreciated by some.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA