hammer acceleration

Jon Page jon.page@verizon.net
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 08:00:27 -0400

At 06:04 PM 08/25/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Roger:
>
>The action is workable.  The key ratio is .53 for naturals and .55 for
>sharps.  The knuckles are 17mm and the dip is not excessive.  The caps are
>centered under the heels.  It's not grossly out, don't misunderstand
>me.  The action feels nice.  I just noticed that the acceleration rate was
>different and have noticed this variation periodically.  In this case once
>the static friction is broken the hammer begins to accelerate more quickly
>than many I have weighed off.  Anyway, on to the next one.  I'm tempted to
>try S&S parts on the next one I do, I'm glad to hear you were happy with
>the quality control.
>
>David Love

Could it be that the ones which accelerate faster also have a lower
friction or Balance Weight?
Check knuckle height, there may be a noticeable difference from note to note;
another process prior to shank installation is measuring knuckle height and
grouping similar ones together.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.